|Since 2004, NINA has been at work in Asylum Hill, rehabilitating blighted, historic houses and selling them to low- and moderate-income families and individuals, many of whom are also first-time homebuyers. Specifically, we have:|
rehabilitated 8 single-family homes
rehabilitated 7 two-family homes
created 2 single-family townhomes in a former Perfect Six
built 1 new single-family home
Each of these projects is described briefly below, and there are also links to more detailed information about our projects.
We're still hard at work in the neighborhood - to see some of our current projects, please click here.
The Zunner Building: named in honor of the architect who designed the building, George Zunner, who was one of the most prolific architects in Hartford. NINA bought this building in 2006, and it became NINA's biggest project to date: 6 years and $2.5 million. The project completely overhauled the building: NINA reduced the number and enlarged the size of the apartments, adding air-conditioning and laundry in each apartment, re-created an entire floor as office space, and completely updated the retail space.
NINA's first project in the Nook Farm district of Asylum Hill, this classic 1875 Italianate was restored to its original look and footprint from a vacant three-family home. The home is the gateway to the neighborhood, and it can be viewed from the highway, the train, and the rapid transit busway. In fact, this project is the first example of transit-oriented development associated with CTfastrak in Hartford. Winner, 2015 Hartford Preservation Alliance Award for Best Historic Restoration.
One of the most unique houses that NINA has ever worked on. Beneath two layers of shingles, we found much of the original wood shingles intact, including the "fish scale shakes" in the gables and in between the first and second floors, and it has two front doors, despite having been built as a single-family home.
A single-family home that had been vacant for some time when NINA acquired it, the house has now been fully restored. It sits squarely in between two other NINA homes, 47 and 55 Ashley Street, and it is the westernmost of six houses in a row built by Frederick Mahl in the 1890s.
This two-family home was built in 1898 by the same developer who built 235-237 Sargeant Street. The house had been condemned and remained vacant for several years before NINA restored it.
Built in 1897, this two-family home occupies a prominent location across from Sigourney Square Park. It had been a 10-room boarding house before NINA acquired it from the lender. Winner, 2013 Hartford Preservation Alliance Award for historic rehabilitation.
Our first, wholly new construction: we designed and built this house to fit the architectural and historic character of the neighborhood. Winner, 2012 Hartford Preservation Alliance Award for outstanding in-fill construction.
What a project! It's nearly as famous as the Victorian Lady, and rightfully so. It may have started as a Perfect Six, but once upon a time it was a derelict 33-room boarding house -- but that was before NINA got its hands on it. Co-winner with the City of Hartford, 2011 Hartford Preservation Alliance Award for the facade restoration and in-fill construction.
Cut up into four apartments before being abandoned by its owner, this 1899 home was restored by NINA as an owner-occupied two-family home. It's very similar to our house at 199-201 Sargeant Street, both having been built by the same person. Winner, 2011 Hartford Preservation Alliance Award for historic rehabilitation.
Foreclosed, vacated and then damaged by a fire: this house endured a lot. It is, however, one of the most interesting homes in Asylum Hill, both for its eclectic exterior and its eclectic interior. Winner, 2010 Hartford Preservation Alliance Award for historic rehabilitation.
The porch of this 1892 Queen Anne home was falling apart when NINA acquired this vacant property and restored it as an owner-occupied two-family home.
NINA moved this Victorian home one mile from its original location at 47 Sigourney Street, where it is now the centerpiece of seven historic homes that NINA and its partners restored in the area. The building, last used by Aetna as a conference facility, is now an owner-occupied single family home. This was a remarkable project -- people are still talking about it! Winner, 2005 Jeffery S. Czopor Award from Hartford Preservation Alliance.
Located next to 8 Ashley Street, this structure had suffered abandonment and neglect for over 10 years before NINA and its partners purchased and restored it as an owner-occupied single-family home.
Along with 8 and 18 Ashley Street, NINA rehabilitated this abandoned house into an owner-occupied single-family home.
This two-family home had been converted into a rooming house before being abandoned. NINA restored it to its original use as an owner-occupied two-family home.
Standing sentinel at the end of Atwood Street, this two-family home, known locally as "the Castle," was severely blighted. NINA meticulously restored this 1898 historic structure so that it is once again a neighborhood icon.
An excellent example of the kind of Queen Anne home found in Asylum Hill, this 1891 historic home suffered from serious deferred maintenance before NINA acquired, restored, and sold it as an owner-occupied, single-family home.
This home was NINA's second new construction. We built this single-family home on a vacant lot that the Asylum Hill Congregational Church donated to us, and we designed it to fit not only the architectural and historical character of Asylum Hill but also its neighbor directly to the north. That house, 181 Collins Street, was probably designed by George Keller (so says David Ransom, which is good enough for us!), and we followed the gables and pitched roof of this house as we designed 54 Huntington.
This brick Italianate, constructed in 1873, is one of the oldest structures still standing in this section of Asylum Hill. The building had been subdivided into four units (including one unit in the basement) before being abandoned by its owner in the early 1990s. NINA rehabilitated the structure into an owner-occupied single-family home.